Friday, December 3, 2010

B-29 Pictures at Randolph Air Force Base

Randolph Air Force Base was initially assigned the duty of training Army Air Force Candidates as Pilots in T-6 aircraft. Randolph AFB's mission changed when the Korean War started in June of 1950 to train Pilots and Crewmen in B-29 bombers for combat duty.

A little history of the B-29 is in order. The B-29 aircraft was introduced into service during the latter part of WWII. At that time, the B-29 was outfitted with R-3350  carburetor engines. These carburetor engines caused a lot of engine fires, and so the engines were then retrofitted to use fuel injection pumps. The carburetor was then used to only draw air into the engine, and the fuel injection pumps squireted the fuel into the engine. This cured the engine fire problem.

Much later, the B-29 was outfitted with R-4360 engines, and with this additional power and weight, the tail size was increased. The aircraft designation was then called the B-50.

 I was sent to aircraft technical school for a year at Sheppard AFB, Whicita Falls, Texas in 1950, an then six months engine school at Chanute AFB in Rantoul, Illinois to learn the R-3350 engines. I was assigned to Randolph Air Force Base in New Braunfels, Texas after completeing both Technical Schools.

 Randolph Air Force Base was assigned the mission of training air crewmen for combat duty mission during the Korean war. The B-29 had four mechanics assigned to it: The Crew Chief, Assistant Crew Chief, and two Mechanics. I was promoted to Assistant Crew Chief and later Crew Chief. I liked that, because the Crew Chief flew with the aircraft after every 100 hours inspection, so needless to say, I really enjoyed my duty. I really got attached to the aircraft, and one of the reasons I re-enlisted into the Air Force again, coupled with the fact that there were no meaningful jobs to be found in San Francisco at that time.

After re-enlisting into the Air Force again, I was transferred to Clark Field in the Philippines and assigned to a B-29 squadron. The B-29 machine guns were all removed, and the aircraft was outfitted with all types of high altitude cameras. The aircraft was then used to fly reconaisance flights over Korea.

Shortly thereafter, I was assigned to Base Operations working on smaller aircraft, like the B-26, C-47 (better knows as the "Gooney Bird"), C-45, and L-20.
That's my story on the B-29, a great aircraft during it's time, and everytime I see a picture of the B-29, I get nostalgic. Much later I was sent to Chanute Air Force Base to train on the B-52 bomber aircraft, and was then assigned to a B-52 Bomber squadron at Eglin AFB after finishing training in Fort Walton Beach, Florida. A picture of me supervising a tire change for the B-52 is shown below.

The pictures below were all taken by me except for the B-52 tire change one.










B-29 with engines running is readying to taxi to the runway for takeoff














This one is having some maintenance performed at the hangers







Cliff Wilson and me. He was my best buddy. We hung around
 together the whole time we were stationed at Randolph AFB

Cliff getting ready to run to the hanger for maintenance parts. Notice the 50mm caliber machine guns at the top





 
 

 





This picture is inside the cockpit; the Pilot, CoPilot, and Bombardier's positions. The Bombardieralso controls
 the bottom front dual 50mm machine guns 
 


That's me. Notice the 50mm calibers on the top turret



Picture of me after my crew has removed the
 engine and waiting for the replacement engine.
 The engines are replaced after thethey have
accumalated a certain number of hours.



 





This is what we called the "Docks". The aircrafts were towed
there when engine inspection on the engines were performed


 
The B-29s are all lined up on the ramp, ready for the
 3am flight preparations before the 6am takeoff time
 
This is a picture of our nephews who live in Argentina. Their grandmother was my father's sister. I communicate
with them via email. They also liked the B-29, and that is why they sent me this picture of the B-29 model they made.




I've added two pictures, because the picture is better on one, and the words are easier to read on the other


Hope you enjoyed these pictures!
END

















   











 
 



















No comments:

Post a Comment